Yours in the Dharma:  Essays from a Buddhist perspective by Sandy Garson

This blog, Yours in the Dharma by Sandy Garson, is an effort to navigate life between the fast track and the breakdown lane, on the Buddhist path. It tries to use a heritage of precious, ancient teachings to steer clear of today's pain and confusion to clear the path to what's truly happening.

Monday, November 05, 2012

Mantras for the Moment


What should we be caroling and chanting on this sacred election eve?

All the politicos involved in this election event, all the candidates and all their enablers, the media, should intone the words of WC Fields:
"Nobody will ever go broke underestimating the taste of the American people."

The 1% could put down their champagne flutes and chant from Jamgon Kongtrul:
"All suffering arises from wanting my own happiness.
On top of not benefiting others, I harm them.
Bless me that I am able to put myself in others' place."

Progressives should stand outside the White House and chant from Bessie Smith:
 "You been a good wagon, Daddy, but you done broke down."

The Tea Party, which is out of its cups, should chant:
"When there is doubt, I spit it out and do it my way."

Senate Democrats can chant the words of that great Yogi, Berra:
"When we come to a fork in the road, we take it. Hallelujah!" 

Republicans led by Romney/ Ryan, notice the grrrrr or is it the errr...sound in that?, can sing from the Beatles:
"all through the day, I me mine, I me mine I me mine." 

Mothers of small children can chant:
"All I am saying is give peas a chance."

Seekers on the spiritual path can stand up to all the mean spirited evangelicals by sitting down to chant these words of my teacher, Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche: 
"This is what blessings are. They are the absence of greed, aversion and delusion."

All of us who are just trying to get through the frustrations of everyday with our sanity intact can sing the greatest message of this dreadful year, brought to us by Ann Romney:
"This is hard."

Om mani peme hung. And then some.





~Sandy Garson "Wordsmithing to attest how the Dharma saved me from myself!"
http://www.sandygarson.com
http://yoursinthedharma.blogspot.com/

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
Click here to request Sandy Garson for reprint permission.
Yours In The Dharma 2001-2010, Sandy Garson Copyright 2001-2010 Sandy Garson All rights Reserved

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home